It’s picnic season in Sitka and Sea Mart has all of your picnic planning needs. Need some ideas for where to picnic and what to pack? Look no further!
Picnic Rock – Substitute a wicker basket for a backpack and climb 2,550 ft on this 5-mile round trip hike to the aptly named Picnic Rock. You know what to do once you arrive! After you’ve rolled the picnic blanket back up and got your second wind, keep going an extra mile to summit Mount Verstovia (AKA Mt Arrowhead).
Picnic Plan – For extraneous hikes, you’ll want to be sure to bring plenty of snacks and water for along the way.
Side Options (for the hike-in and out):
• Protein bar
• Dried fruits
Main Dish Options:
• Pre-made tuna salad sandwiches – Toast the bread until crunchy to avoid sogginess, layer iceberg or romaine lettuce between the bread and tuna salad. A French baguette halved can work nicely for perfect picnic sandwiches.
• Pre-made black bean burritos – Another great option! Double wrap it to keep dry, slather in refried black or pinto beans, avocado, tomato, or any of your favorite veggies and/or cheese.
Halibut Point Recreation Site – Just four miles from downtown Sitka, this is a popular picnic area amongst locals and visitors alike. There are covered picnic shelters, tables, and a half mile hiking trail to peruse the coastal forest. The beach area is a great spot to play in the inter-tidal zone.
Picnic Plan – Drive up picnicking affords a lot more options than hiking in. You can bring a camp stove if you’d like, large cooler, and all the comforts from home you can fit in your car. To keep it simple and get you out of the house and outdoors quickly, here is a picnic plan;
• Macaroni or Potato Salad
• Cold Pasta Salad
Main Dish Options:
• Fried chicken (you know ours is the best!)- Serve it cold!
• Veggie Sandwich – a thin layer of mayo, and add your favorite veggies, try; dill, tomato, avocado, microgreens, cucumber, and jack cheese.
Other great picnic spots in Sitka
• Starrigavan Recreation Area – A nice boardwalk to enjoy the wildlife, perfect for a picnic followed by a stroll near the beach.
• Harbor Mountain Road and Recreation Area – Enjoy a picnic with an outstanding view of Mt. Edgecumbe.
Don’t forget some sunblock and a frisbee!