With the long days of summer in full swing, there is no question whether or not you should be outside grilling. Summer is a time for friends, family and visitors. We are lucky to live in such a beautiful place and to be part of a community that brings people together. So grab your neighbors, pick up your tongs and head outside to enjoy the magical nights of a Sitkan summer.
You don’t need to get fancy with your grilling toolkit. Here’s the lowdown on the 5 essentials every grill master needs:
- Insulated BBQ mitts – keep your hands and arms burn free and stay clear of having to go to the hospital.
- Tongs – we say you probably need at least 2 pair, one for raw meat and one for flipping.
- Spatula – perfect for flipping burgers, seafood and veggies.
- Grill brush – keep the grate clean for tastier mains and sides.
- Basting brush – a silicone brush is way easier to clean than their traditional counterparts (they hold their shape better too).
While we love getting in the kitchen and experimenting with our own sauces, sometimes the night calls for the grill and you just don’t have enough time. If that’s the case, we recommend keeping these in your fridge at all times.
- Sweet Baby Rays – Honey BBQ, a sweetened version without the bee sting.
- Red Tail Ale – Spicy Chipotle BBQ, pairs perfectly with a Red Tail Ale!
- Budweiser – Sweet & Smoky BBQ, a sweet sauce that leaves the kick behind.
- Stubb’s – Original Legendary BBQ, it’s called legendary for a reason, this sauce is a staple.
Be a Drink Master Too
A fresh, crisp Alaskan beer is certain to make you a hit at your next barbecue, but we have another suggestion too. Q Ginger Beer is our favorite mixer for refreshing summer cocktails. Try it in a Moscow Mule, Dark & Stormy or use it as a base in a Ginger Beer Mojito.
Don’t Forget the Salt
With so many great salt options available to us living on the sea, we have to say that the Leila Bay Trading Co. makes some unique varieties we love for barbecuing. Add to meat, seafood or veggies for a delectable pop of flavor. Our favorite is the sweetness of the Alaea.
What’s next in line for your grill night? Share your favorite recipes below, or the sauce and salt you can’t live without.