One of our employees, Svetlana was born and raised in Russia and was taught how to make this delicious Borscht recipe by her mother. We hope you have fun trying it out in the kitchen, let us know what you think in the comments below.
5-6 Cups of Beef Stock
3 Russet Potatoes
1 Yellow Onion
Small can of Tomato Paste
½ Head of Cabbage
- Wash beets and boil in a large pot with 10 cups of water for approx. 1 hour or longer for larger beets. Beets should easily pierced with a butter knife when finished. Remove beets and set aside. Keep the water.
- Cut potatoes into chunks and boil in beet water from step 1 for 20 minutes.
- Dice onion and grate carrots, sauté with oil in a skillet until soft. Stir in tomato paste and a splash of water when vegetables are almost finished.
- Thinly slice cabbage and add to pot with potatoes when they are halfway done boiling.
- Peel and cut beets and add to pot.
- Add beef stock to pot.
- Add sautéed carrots and onion to pot and cook for additional 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt, garnish with dill or chives.